Secure Your Home
Making Your Home Secure
Improving your home security reduces the chance of you becoming the victim of a burglar. To help you make the right choices we have created a guide for home security and buying physical security products. Look out for the ‘Secured By Design’ Police Preferred logo on security products and services – as they meet our high standards.
As an organisation we are committed to reducing crime. New build developments built to our guidelines are half as likely to be burgled and show a reduction of 25% in criminal damage. Our recommendations will help you to strengthen your security on your home.
How To Improve Your Home Security
- Follow our advice to decide what elements you need to improve in your home
- If your budget is limited, focus on doors, locks, windows and perhaps a small safe for your valuables
- Always identify 2 or 3 companies that provide the security you need to compare quality and price
- Choose a supplier by:
- Looking for products with the Secured by Design Police Preferred Specification logo, as these meet our high standards
- Recommendation from friends
- A member of a nationally recognised organisation specialising in security
- Check ID before allowing visitors into your home
- Suggest areas of home security you would like to improve to your potential suppliers and ask for a written quote detailing the work and the cost. Compare prices with competitors before agreeing
- Save money by using your DIY skills to fit approved products
- Never discuss your security needs with doorstep or telephone callers
- Do not agree to work without a written quote detailing the work and cost
- You should not disclose personal information like health problems or high risk items including jewellery until you
have decided on your supplier and believe it’s essential for their work
- Under no circumstances go to your bank or cash machine with an installer or salesman.
- Only pay for the work once the job is completed to your satisfaction. You can ask a friend or family member for a second opinion