Secure Your Perimeter
Gates and fences are the first signs of a secure home and act as a good deterrent to intruders. Make sure they are in good repair.
- Keeping your front gate closed sends a psychological message of privacy, so consider investing in a gate spring.
- Ensure that side access to the rear garden is secured with a 2 metre high fence and gate. You can fix trellis topping to your fence as it makes climbing difficult.
- Ensure ladders are put away and bins can’t be turned into climbing aids
- For a perimeter fence by a public path or other vulnerable area consider defensive or prickly shrubbery on your side of the fencing.
- An outdoor light operated by sensors can be used to make intruders feel vulnerable and observed.
- Illuminate areas such as the front, side and rear of your home
- Make sure passers-by can see the front of your home by cutting your shrubs and bushes to 1m so burglars can’t work without being seen.