Keep your bikes safe
Keep your bikes safe and secure is the advice from the national police crime prevention initiative Secured by Design (SBD) on Bike To School Day 2018.
More than 500,000 bikes are stolen every year according to the British Crime Survey, and numbers are rising annually.
- When at home, keep your bike or motorcycle out of sight by storing it securely in a garage or shed using ground anchors or heavy chains with locks tested to Sold Secure Gold or Silver standard.
- When securing your bike remember to secure the frame to the wheels.
- Consider buying a motorbike or bicycle locker/garage that meets Secured by Design standards.
- If storing the bike outside is unavoidable, ensure you safely locate and anchor items to a secure structure with chain and padlock or bike lock which meet Secured by Design or Sold Secure gold or silver standard.
- Register it with a Secured by Design accredited forensic marking company.
On the Secured by Design website you can getting some tips on how to keep your bike safe & secure, as well as search for approved products to assist with your cycle security.
Whilst police are unable to recommend specific products, SBD can act as an effective gatekeeper and signposting service to our 650 member companies and their products, which meet our rigorous Police Preferred Specification standards.
Members’ products range from secure and robust doors, windows and locks through to cutting-edge IT products, CCTV components, and shutters and barriers. SBD is the only way for companies to obtain police accreditation for security products in the UK.
Secured by Design is a national police crime prevention initiative. It seeks to achieve sustainable reductions in crime through design and other approaches to help people live in a safer society.