Free RIBA Approved CPD for Architects
The Police Crime Prevention Academy are running free RIBA Approved CPD sessions on Secured by Design in February and March 2024.
The sessions, open to all architects firms, will run between 12.30pm and 1.30pm on the following dates:
- Friday 23rd February
- Friday 22nd March
The Police Secured by Design initiative, which operates across a wide range of building sectors including residential, education, health, transport, commercial, retail, sport and leisure, promotes security standards for a wide range of applications and products. These principles have been proven to reduce crime risk by up to 87%, by combining standards of physical security and principles of crime prevention through environmental design.
This CPD will explore Secured by Design. Topics covered include how the scheme is implemented and successes in previous development projects, terminology and how to find secured products that have achieved police preferred specification.
By the end of the CPD you should have a greater understanding of:
- Secured by Design as a proven police scheme which reduces crime and creates safer communities
- Relevant legislation, policy & guidance
- Secured by Design as more current than ADQ and other documents referencing security and safer communities
- An overview of property crime trends
- An evaluation of why crime occurs
- How the Secured by Design scheme is implemented
- How an open, welcoming and safe environment can be achieved by incorporating crime prevention design into the layout and landscaping of the immediate surroundings in subtle ways that will be barely noticeable to residents
- Successes in previous development projects & how developments that meet the Secured by Design award are more sustainable
- How SBD keeps parallel with current crime trends and methods