Festive Safety with SBD: Home Security
- Sam Campbell ,
- 04 December 2023
Here are Secured by Design’s top tips to ensure that your home stays secure during the holiday season.
- Locks: Ensure that your windows and doors are closed and locked when leaving the house or going to sleep.
- Lights: Leaving your house in darkness can be an indication to burglars that no one is home. Consider leaving a light on when the house is empty during the dark evenings or use a light on a timer. Vary the times lights go on and off, especially if you are away for multiple days.
- Gates: Lock gates to keep unwanted visitors from getting to the rear of your home. Consider a Secured by Design accredited lock for improved security.
- Cars: When leaving the house in the morning to an icy car, never leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running to de-ice it. It only takes a second for a thief to steal your car and it would invalidate any insurance claim.
- Visitors: Be cautious of who you let into your home. During the holiday season, there may be individuals or groups going door-to-door for businesses, charities and other organisations. Always ask for identification and verify the legitimacy of the individual via alternative means, e.g., call using details from the organisation’s website rather than one given by the visitor.
- Social Media: Check your security settings to ensure that you are not publicly broadcasting details of when you are not at home when you ‘check in’ to places you visit.
- Security: Consider investing in a security system. Many security systems are now available at an affordable price and can provide peace of mind during the festive season, alerting you to any unusual activity on your property. Secured by Design accredited many security systems, including alarms, CCTV, and various IoT enabled Smart Home security devices.