Twelve London postcodes have been included in a list of the top 20 burglary hotspots in the UK.
According to insurance claim figures, people living in the M21 postcode area of Manchester are most likely to have been victims of burglary, with 45.2 claims per thousand people.
But Herne Hill and Tulse Hill in SE24 in London were close behind with 41.8, and Muswell Hill in N10 chalked up 40.9.
The figures came from 3.1 million home insurance quotes submitted to website MoneySupermarket.com over the course of a year.
The top 20 were derived from the areas where the most people reported having made previous claims for burglary, per thousand people.
Kevin Pratt from the website said: “While the M21 postal district in Manchester is the country’s most notorious burglary claim hotspot, it is London that dominates the top 20 rankings. “Thieves often target areas with wealthy residents and desirable properties where the rewards are potentially greater or quieter areas where they think there is less risk of being caught red-handed.”
Alan McIness General Manager Secured by Design said;” Everybody should remember to secure their home as burglars are opportunistic. Simple this such as light switch timers can make people think that you are home and the right lock can stop thieves from gaining entry to your home.”
Top tips for securing your home:
The top 20 burglary hotspots by postcode in the UK
1. M21 – Chorlton-cum-Hardy; Barlow Moor, Manchester, 45.2
2. SE24 – Herne Hill; Tulse Hill (part), London, 41.8
3. N10 – Muswell Hill, London, 40.9
4. RM8 – Dagenham; Becontree; Becontree Heath, London, 35.9
5. N2 – East Finchley; Fortis Green; Hampstead Garden Suburb (part), London, 34.5
6. L18 – Allerton; Mossley Hill, Liverpool, 33.3
7. L22 – Waterloo, Liverpool, 32.6
8. N18 – Upper Edmonton; Edmonton (part), London, 32.3
9. UB6 – Greenford; Perivale, London, 30.9
10. SE27 – West Norwood; Gipsy Hill (part), London, 30.5
11. B73 – Boldmere; New Oscott; Wylde Green, Birmingham, 29.5
12. E8 – Hackney Central; Dalston; London Fields, London, 29.4
13. DN2 – Intake; Wheatley; Wheatley Hills, Doncaster, 28.7
14.N20 – Whetstone; Totteridge; Oakleigh Park, London, 28.0
15. E9 – Homerton; Hackney Wick; South Hackney; Hackney Marshes; Victoria Park, London, 27.8
16. N11- New Southgate; Friern Barnet; Bounds Green; Arnos Grove (part), London, 27.7
17. N16- Stoke Newington; Stamford Hill (part); Shacklewell; Dalston (part); Newington
Green (part), London, 27.7
18.LS16 – Adel, Bramhope; Cookridge; Eccup; Far Headingley; Holt Park; Ireland Wood; Lawnswood; Moor Grange; Tinshill; Weetwood; West Park, Leeds, 27.6
19. B24 – Erdington; Tyburn, Birmingham, 27.6
20.HP10 – High Wycombe; Flackwell Heath; Handy Cross; Hedsor; Loudwater; Penn; Tylers Green; Wooburn; Wooburn Green; Wooburn Moor, Buckinghamshire, 27.3
© 2023 Police Crime Prevention Initiatives Limited, Registered Company 3816000 - Registered in England and Wales. Police Crime Prevention Initiatives, PCPI and related logos are trademarks of Police Crime Prevention Initiatives Limited. The trademark may not be reproduced without approval by Police CPI Ltd.